Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Locked Lips

I shut down everything for a while. I didn't lurk....I didn't even check my e-mails for over a week. Things have been really rough.

Two weeks ago we had a scare involving x-rays, waiting for a phone call, the mention of cancer, cat scans done, waiting for a phone call, no cancer , yes to pneumonia, blood tests, waiting for a phone call...........it was incredibly stressful, but incredible in other ways as well. We clung together as we never had before. I can't really describe it, but it was the most intimate experience I have ever had, even though fear was underlying everything.

At the end of that week, it was confirmed there was no serious illness, but he was still struggling with his bodies overreactive defense to what is a fairly common illness.

Suddenly, he was gone. Mentally he just completely retreated. I tried to reach out and was rebuffed, rejected. I tried to make a suggestion and he reacted overly harsh. Yes, it was the third time I had made the suggestion....in a month. I didn't deserve that reaction. I tried to be patient and understanding, but after the stressful, but incredible week before, I started to resent it.

As the week went on, I became more and more angry. In the middle of all this, family came over. We host Thanksgiving Dinner every year. There could be from 10 to 20 people and a deep fried turkey.

It continued on, him pulling more and more away from me. It was just me. He spoke very gently, teasingly to our daughter, was incredible patient with our son, but the sight of me seemed to irritate him. Saturday we had to go out shopping for a piece of furniture. He tried to be more normal, but half of his responses were still snapped at me. I became more and more angry. Before we started this journey in DD, I would have been angry, but I would have just withdrawn to protect myself. Now, I was unbelievably pissed and chomping at the bit to take him on. The only thing that stopped me from laying into him was the fact that he was still so sick. When we got home that afternoon, he retreated to the bed room and completely shut me out. Yes, my anger was climbing. I was vibrating with it.

That night, he was already in bed, lights out, but not asleep when I joined him. Unfortunately for me, Contrary Carrie was there as well. Stiletto heels and curled lip complete. Seriously, if he had turned on the lights he would have seen my lip curled almost up to my nose and nose tilted to the air in complete disgust and distain. GRRRRR! We lie there for an hour and a half. I felt him slowly realize, even in the dark, there was danger.  Here was Contrary Carrie at her best. I wanted him to reach for me, to initiate......you know. Yeah, my hormones were raging (maybe adding fuel to the fire?). But if he had, I do believe I would have attacked.

My mind was circling with everything I wanted to say to him, accusations, recriminations, ultimatums........ I couldn't take it anymore and left the bed. He was still awake. We never said a word to each other.

Fortunately, with distance some sanity returned. I spent the next several hours reviewing my options. A little more sane then the ultimatums I wanted to fling at him while lying in bed. Those ultimatums would have left me stuck in a position I didn't want to be really.

At a little after 3 a.m., I was calmer, Carrie had left in disgust a while before and I went to bed. It helped that he was a sleep.

I was hoping that on Sunday we would have our weekly time together (it hasn't happened in two weeks) running errands and sitting somewhere enjoying a coffee and talking. I was going to bring everything up in a calm way.


HE INVITED THE KIDS TO JOIN US! I was shocked. Did he do this on purpose to avoid a discussion? Before my shock could turn to anger, he turned to me uncertainly and after a few seconds he put his arm around me and pulled me to him. I allowed it, put held myself stiff. I wasn't going to get over it that easily.

"So, you're over me aren't you?"

"Which part of you do you think I am over?"

"me being sick......."

Carrie tried to step in. She wanted to ram her stiletto heel onto the arch of his foot. I huffed and blow her away.

"you being sick...it is what it is... we are dealing with it. However, you pushing me away, ignoring me, snapping at me.... yah....I am over it."

We stood there, his arm around me, me not looking at him, waiting.........and he said,

"Yah, you're over me being sick" and he turned away to get ready to leave.

It is a good thing he turned away. Carrie almost got her way with her heel. As it was he just missed the magnificent curl of my upper lip.

The day was calmer then it had been in a while. He felt better than he had in a while. Nothing serious was discussed. But I resolved that when he was better we would sit down and have a serious discussion about this. One of the conclusions I had come to the night before was that I would not tolerate being pushed away again. I had devised a plan of action to deal with it in the future and I was going to tell him exactly how I was going to do it. No, I won't share that now. Most of you HoHs would shake your heads in sympathy for my poor husband dealing with such a wife (insert eye roll here) and most of you ladies would be reaching for the popcorn wanting to know the fall out. I will save it for when I actually tell him, maybe.

The next day was normal (pre DD) and that evening after dinner and dishes I was sitting on the couch in deep thought when he sat next to me.

"What are you thinking about?'

"Nothing." I was startled.

"Are you sure? You look very serious."

"No, nothing" I got up to end the questions and went in to the kitchen.

Why do I do that? I do this more than I would like to admit. I have wanted to talk to him all weekend, but didn't because as much as he deserved my lambasting him, he was too sick and I was too angry. So I locked my lips. Now here he was opening the door wide for me to step through and tell him what I was thinking and I run in the opposite direction as fast as I can. Locking my lips again. I took a minute to oil the unused hinges and find the key, then force myself to unlock them and went to sit down next to him again.

"Actually,....I was thinking we are probably not going to get back to this thing for a long time."

"This thing?"

"You know, this thing we are doing, Domestic Discipline?"

"Why do you think that?"

"Well, after this last week of your depression, losing everything that we had gained before that....."

"Hm"

"and with *insert his relatives name here* coming to stay with us for a couple of months...."

"Why would you think that would change anything?"

"I didn't think you would want to do this while they are here, with the situation what it will be..."

"Oh no, that won't change anything. Actually, I was thinking about this yesterday, when we could start this going again."

"Really?'

"Yah"

There we are, back at the very beginning again, but still committed to following through. We will need to sit down soon and discuss a lot of things and yes I still plan to inform him of my plan of action if he distances from me again. I plan to start e-mailing him again too. The intimacy isn't were it was before his depression, but now that I have known it, I won't give up on attaining it again. That is what I always imagined marriage would be like in my fantasies. I won't allow either of us to settle for less now.

One thing I am focused on working on right now is oiling my lips and keeping them unlocked.




Feel free to leave a comment, be kind.



14 comments:

  1. I'm glad his illness didn't turn out to be too serious, but it sounds like the whole situation was frustrating for you both in a lot of ways. I know it feels like a set-back, but you've already laid a lot of the ground work so hopefully you'll find that you aren't really back at square one. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly frustrating for both of us. You are right Tess, we aren't back to square one. He came home from work yesterday and there was a light in his eyes I haven't seen in over a month and a little bit of his sense of humor had returned. I realized the hardest part right now is for me to find that submissive grove again. For the both of us the hard part will be sitting down and discussing everything. Soon.

      Delete
  2. We all come across bumps in the DD road from time to time but if you have the basic path laid out, all you have to do is find your ways back onto the path. Isn't that philosophical of me? lol

    Seriously, I'm glad to hear he's doing better but please don't keep the frustration and the anger inside - he needs to hear it, you both need to talk about it. Keep the hinges oiled so the door will stay open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another friend compared it to giving birth the first time. There is fear of the unknown, the pain, but once the first time is over, the birth canal has been stretched out and the second time is easier. LOL!
      I am sure this won't be the only bump in our road. The one good thing about those bumps is they slow you down and force you to look around to see what caused you to hit that bump in the first place. Now that we are a few days away from this I see that I have developed a bad pattern of dealing with communication during a crisis.
      On this new medication he looks and feels better than he has in months. We both hope for a little time to ourselves soon to talk all this out.
      Thanks Christina!

      Delete
  3. Hi BB - Happy to hear that he is doing better and on the road to recovery. His withdrawal had to be frustrating and hurtful and he needs to know that. Definitely unlock those lips and let him know what is going on with you. Keep the oil handy and if you need more, just yell, I'm sure one or more of us can send you some. ;) Hope things work out well.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat!
      I know. He knows how angry his withdrawal made me, but not the hurt yet. We are going to have that sit down long drawn out talk soon about our communication problems. We haven't been able to do this so far because of what is going on with him. It has taken everything he has had just to get one step in front of the other. It is all very complicated and ultimately very simple. We just need to discuss it. Soon.

      Delete
  4. Sickness will put an end to the visible signs of DD.
    I know all about that.
    But I'm glad to hear that he is doing better and is ready to restart the dynamic.
    Restarting is not easy, it will need input from both of you.
    Whoever is that Carrie person? Did somebody invite her in? I think she had better leave the country, preferably now.

    Hugs,
    Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas,
      No, it won't be easy. There are things to be discussed and maybe forgiven. But I was relieved that he wasn't put off and was actually thinking about restarting it himself.
      LOL! Who is Carrie? I wrote a post about her if you want to read it:

      http://twelvebluebird.blogspot.com/2012/09/contrary-carriewill-she-appear.html

      Unfortunately, as much as I wish her on another planet, she is my alter-ego. She appears when I feel pushed into a corner and she never helps the situation. Fortunately, she doesn't appear often.

      Thanks Bas.

      Delete
  5. Hi Blue Bird,
    I'm glad to hear that your man is on the mend. I cannot stand when my husband is sick. I get protective and uptight and I just want to fix him. Dd of course takes a back seat and then it is hard to find your footing again. I have to agree with the others. Keep talking and as Cat said, if you are feeling tempted to shut down give us a holler and we'll be here to say all the things that in the moment you do not want to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie,
      : ) You are right, I probably won't want to hear it but amazingly those things you don't won't to hear, when they are repeated enough they start to sink in.
      I know all about trying to fix him when he is sick. He always insists there is nothing wrong to be fixed. GRRRRR! Which leaves me uptight and hovering. Ugh.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to hear it's not cancer and that other tests confirmed no serious illness.

    I'm not the best person to give advice, since I can't even seem to follow my own... but you do need to talk and tell him everything you feel.
    I am currently in shut down mode and it's not fun. I know I need to talk to my Husband, but I'm just avoiding it and I'm feeling worse and worse each day... plus starting to resent him for how HE is responding as well...
    I have made myself quite a bad situation to be in and it's not feeling very good.

    It will be hard to get back to things again - but it's possible.

    Hope you get things settled soon.
    I know how it is though... I'm being quite stubborn right now and I just can't bring myself to open up and let everything out because I don't want to deal with the aftermath...

    Hope to hear you two are doing better soon!

    -Emi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emi,
      I know it is hard when you are in the middle of it but.......one of the things I am going to try to do is just change one thing in my own behavior. Not talking about it yet, we don't have enough privacy yet. But changing one of my negative behaviors my ease the situation a little, it may change the way he is responding to me and make a discussion easier in the future.
      We are better now because he is feeling better. When we are able to discuss all of this I hope it will help to put us back or atleast closer to where we were.
      I hope you find your way soon. Will the aftermath really be as bad as you are feeling now?
      Hugs Emi!

      Delete
  7. Hi Blue Bird,
    Wow - you have had some major stressors in your lives and your marriage just lately!
    As Bas said, a sick HoH really puts everyone to the test, but the main thing is that you ended up on the right track.
    Thank God everything is okay health wise, and now you can focus on each other.
    Hugs and love
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillie,
      Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I stop reading or blogging on the weekends to devote that time to my family.
      Yes, thank God is right! Things are beginning to settle and inch forward again.
      Hugs
      Blue Bird

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, be kind.