Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I'll walk slow

with a heavy dose of medication....



I originally posted this on Oct 30. I pulled it down for many confused reasons that maybe you will understand when you read it. I began this blog to document my journey so....I am putting it back up, with a little more detail. Everything in green is new.

So, I sent him my last post.

He read it in front of me. 

He said nothing.

and still nothing

stiiiill nothing

sigh

still nothing

So my mood declined suddenly and rapidly.
I was patient all day and then in a matter of 30 minutes.....

Boom!

I began to curse him with my eyes.
He got angry because the change was so sudden.
He cursed me with his eyes.
I pushed him to talk to me about the post.
He got angry that I was pushing.
Anger, assumptions, accusations
misunderstandings, misinterpretations

I wanted to lay down and forget it all.

The pain of looking at his cursing eyes, the guilt, was too much for my people pleasing soul.

talk

talk

talk

It was talked out.

We ended in a better place.....with new understanding and acceptance.

So we start again

slowly


I was listening to my favorite band yesterday and this song spoke to me of my struggles on this DD journey. The song is about lost love. No, we haven't lost our love but are building it to something more. The feelings evoked in this song mirror my feelings of guilt, despondency and hope.
This wasn't what I was feeling days after the discussion, it was how I felt during our discussion on the weekend.

So here it is, I hope you enjoy it...


Mumford and Sons
"Lovers Eyes"

It is six minutes long so you can skip to the text version after the video if you don't have the time.



"Lover's Eyes"
Love was kind, for a time
Now just aches and it makes me blind
We were having an incredible weekend, then I pushed and it hurt.
This mirror holds my eyes too bright
I can't see the others in my life

Were we too young? And heads too strong?
To bear the weight of these lover's eyes.
'Cause I feel numb, beneath your tongue
Neath the curse of these lover's eyes.
He was angry that I pushed and ruined the weekend.

But do not ask the price I pay,
I must live with my quiet rage,
Tame the ghosts in my head,
That run wild and wish me dead.
Should you shake my ash to the wind
Lord, forget all of my sins
Oh, let me die where I lie
Neath the curse of my lover's eyes.
At one point I prayed for God to just end it because it was to painful, the discussion. Yes, I know overly dramatic.

There's no drink nor drug I tried
To rid the curse of these lover's eyes
And I feel numb, beneath your tongue
Your strength just makes me feel less strong
I was filled with guilt and going numb because he was falling back on old habits to deal instead of the new ones we set in place. I knew my guilt would get no release. 

But do not ask the price I pay,
I must live with my quiet rage,
Tame the ghosts in my head,
That run wild and wish me dead.
Should you shake my ash to the wind
Lord, forget all of my sins
Oh, let me die where I lie
Neath the curse of my lover's eyes.

And I'll walk slow, I'll walk slow
Take my hand, help me on my way.
And I'll walk slow, I'll walk slow
Take my hand, I'll be on my way.
During the course of the discussion, I discovered He thought the post "Reality and Dreams" was against him. It wasn't, it was about my realization of how far I had gone around the bend with my need for control. After that things started to calm down and we reconnected and continued our incredible weekend.
And I'll walk slow, I'll walk slow
Take my hand, help me on my way.
And I'll walk slow, I'll walk slow
Take my hand, I'll be on my way.



Cat made a comment below. It immediately cut me on the raw. I thought, "Are you kidding me! Your blaming me too?". I starting crying. Don't worry Cat it was a good thing. I was shocked by my response and immediately commented back, to which she comment back and then I pulled the post. It was too painful. 

Our fight over the weekend was over one issue that was resolved, but there were things said in that discussion that highlighted a problem. We have a serious communication problem and Cats comments helped me to sight why this whole event kept cycling in my head.

I went back and reread Old Fashion Marriage's post on why your man won't communicate. It is here if you want to read it. I had to acknowledge that in the past I behaved in a way that shut him down during a discussion. He has become defensive and tries to shut the conversation down before it begins and I can shut him down. 

To make everything worse, we have both been having health problems. He is on his 4th course of antibiotics with an option to refill. It has been physically and mentally draining for him. I didn't realize how important the good days had become to him.

When I started my submission (May), I lost a lot of weight and was able to cut my blood pressure medication in half. A month ago, I stopped at one of those blood pressure machines to test my pressure. I am more physically fit than I have been in a very long time. I was shocked to discover that my pressure was higher than it had ever been. I started slowly increasing my medication. It didn't help, at all. I went to the doctor and was put on a stronger medication. The stress from my husbands health problems, starting DD and much more were causing my pressure to go up, which made me feel edgy, agitated, almost panicked at times, which increased the stress of a situation, which increased my pressure. It was a vicious circle, kind of like a cat frantically chasing its tail.

So we talked and agreed to slow down, not stop but slow down, until our health problems are better. In the mean time, we are going to work on rules to help us to return to a healthy way of communicating. It didn't used to be this way. This is proof that nothing is ever stagnate, especially a relationship, it is always changing and if you aren't paying attention it changes to something you never envisioned or wanted.

That is were we are right now....walking slow.......hand in hand.....both of us heavily dosed with medication.







Please feel free to leave a comment, be kind.

7 comments:

  1. BB - I swear, I am going to rename you to grasshopper as in "patience grasshopper". ;) You thought about all this and did quite a bit of your mental processing prior to bringing it to him. He is still processing and at a different rate. Get rid of the guilt and despondency, hang on to the hope and behave as if he is the strictest HoH in history. He will come around. And always, we are here for you and many have been where you are now. Sending you lots of (((hugs))).

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is Cat, he doesn't talk......almost never. I had asked him to say to me when he read an e-mail or post "I have read it but I don't feel like talking about it now. We will talk later". I need to have that acknowledgement. He read it right in front of me (not something I intended) and didn't say a word. I let 8 hours go by before I got upset. He admitted that he didn't know if he would ever bring it up. It turns out he thought it was all about and against him. If that is what everyone thought...it wasn't. It was about me realizing how out of control I had become with my control.
      2 years ago he become so angry with me, he told me he wanted to beat the s**t out of me and pushed me out of the room. He ignored me for 3 days. When he finally started talking to me, I asked him what did I do wrong, I was ignored for another 2 days. I still to this day don't know what it is that I did wrong. When we started this whole thing I brought it up. He doesn't even remember the incident.
      I read OldFashionMarriage's post about when your man won't talk. He insists it is just the way he is.
      What am I supposed to do? The only time anything happens or moves forward is when I push for him to talk

      Delete
    2. Awww BB - I do understand why you feel you need to push but it is causing you such angst and sounds as if it is causing stress in your relationship. It really sounds as if maybe you need some couples counseling to open the lines of communication. Even if you were to totally remove DD from the table, he needs to learn how to open up and express his feelings and thoughts in a constructive manner. If you were to approach him with the attitude of "I need to learn how to communicate with you better" rather than "you need to learn how to communicate better", maybe he would be open to it? I've never known a DD to succeed in a relationship without communication. Doesn't mean it hasn't, just means I've never seen it. Sending you lots of (((hugs))) and prayers.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. BB, I'm way behind here. Just wanted to say I understand how sad, lonely, neglected, resentful, worried, despondent, disheartening, futile (insert adjectives at will) it feels when we can't pry a word from the heart of our guys. It wears on us, affects our mood, chips away at our confidence, and lessens our relationship. I don't know why they don't understand this about us. Strangely enough, I found it didn't help my ex understand better or communicate more when I offered to go talk to my tree instead. I don't say that to D, but it's a struggle! ;-)

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL!!! Talk to the tree! I may have to do that sometime, but I won't ask him first. I"ll just start talking to an inanimate object in front of him. If I choose the time right, it is more likely to make him laugh and start talking! Realistically, I don't have a good track record with my timing. It's better just not choose that option at all. LOL : D
      Thanks for the laugh Irishey!

      Delete
    2. Lol! I can see you in heartfelt discourse with your sofa and wall art! Thanks for the chuckles back at ya!

      Hey, a hanging plant or large potted tree...it's proven they respond to being spoken to. Do you have indoor plants? This is perfect. Oh, my - see? My thoughts took wing again. I'm gonna get us in trouble. But, I would like a nice, big plant. ;-)

      Irishey

      Delete
    3. LOL! Yes I do! A nice 2 foot bushy plant I have sitting on a pedestal making it's overall height 4 feet high. It is one I just got and he bought it with me. That is significant, since when I want to buy a plant it usually involves long discussions of what would be best for the plant. He thinks they should out live us. His nick name for me in regards to plants is "Dr. Kevorkian".

      I think I just may be tempted to start talking to the plant sometime when he won't talk. I'll tell him it is a proven fact they thrive under this attention. Hint! Hint! Ha!

      : ) If I ever do it, I'll let you know if I get in trouble. LOL!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, be kind.