Friday, November 16, 2012

What does he think he knows?

We haven't told our children anything about our decision to try this lifestyle of course. In the beginning there was a little tussle with my son trying to get him to understand my computer was off limits.  We finally came to an understanding.

I picked him up from school today. I finally cleared enough space in the freezer to hold a turkey for Thanksgiving, so we were driving to the store to pick one up.

He wanted the $20 he made from selling one of his old xbox games to a friend.

"Why?"

"I want to buy xbox live points"

"Sorry, you know you have to ask your father's permission before anything is purchase for your xbox."

"But it's not a game."

"You know I won't buy anything for the xbox for you, don't even try."

Two years ago or so, I gave up all responsibility with anything to do with the xbox. It is all in the hands of his father. I couldn't give that control away fast enough. He knows that, but he is a teenager. He can't resist trying to convince me anyway. Fortunately this time there wasn't a lot of heat and/or pleading in his arguments. He was having more fun presenting his case. I just sat and listened. Suddenly in a light, bantering tone he said:


"Mama, are you really going to give control of this marriage to him?"

"Are you going to let him make all of the decisions?"

"You're not going to make any choises yourself?"



What did I say?



I was laughing to hard to say anything.






Have a good weekend!






Feel free to leave a comment, be nice.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my word, I had a similar exchange with my boys. Mine are much younger 6, 6, and 3. They wanted to know if we could put our Christmas lights up outside. My simple answer was that we were going to have to talk to daddy when he got home. They seemed a little perplexed by that...they kept asking, "Why mommy, is he the boss?" I was not at all comfortable with saying that he was...and it has bothered me ever since that I danced all around answering that question. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fear is that somewhere he did see something and is on to us. But I am not going to admit to anything, just keep laughing.
      Why not just say you and your husband are a team and make these decisions together?

      Delete
    2. Where were you when I was having this conversation with the boys?? :) I guess because like everything else, I over think everything. And....they always seem to spring these heavy conversations on me when Ryan is gone. You know things like...mommy how did the baby get in your belly.....who made God.....how do you find a wife....I swear they NEVER ask these things when he is around! :D

      I will remember from now on to keep it simple. I get so flustered I have no idea what to say half of the time. Boys!

      Delete
    3. LOL! Don't mean to scare you but you need to develop a poker face fast. In 5-7 years the things they say will shock you! LOL!

      Delete
  2. He was sooooo trying to get you to let him buy those points...too funny:)
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teens do seem to be little con artists don't they BB. LOL There is nothing wrong with saying that your husband is the head of your household and has the final word. I always knew growing up that my dad's word was law and final. My boys knew that I would discuss things with my ex but that his word was final also. The DD lifestyle doesn't need to be referenced.

    Have a great weekend and thanks for the giggles.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! As CLint from LDD would say we were one of those couple who practiced DD and didn't know it. While we have always worked as a team discussing everything, he has always had the finally word. It has never been discussed with the kids but it is obvious. What got me was the wording, "give control of this marriage to him?". It's a good thing I had actually parked the car at that moment!

      Delete
  4. My oldest is too quick to notice things about me lately too. Grrr...he can't notice that he knocked his pop can on the floor, but he's all over my change....GRRRRRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just ignore him and go about my business. Grrrr is right!

      Delete
  5. eek, didn't he look at you funny and ask why you were laughing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No he didn't. We got out of the car and went into the store and he didn't mention the xbox points again or ask why I was laughing. Which leads me to believe, if he knows anything or not, he made the statement to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, I think more laughter is the best way to go. Disarm those teenagers.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, be kind.