All of last month I was doing Rodney Yee's A.M. Yoga. When I haven't exercised in a while, I like to do this DVD. I usually feel like my body is crumbled up like a piece of paper. The first week of doing this routine my body is continually snap, crackle and popping as it becomes realigned.
The first couple of weeks you are just trying to get the basic positions down. Then you start trying to follow Mr. Yee's weird instruction:
"Relax your temple skin"
Huh?
"With the strength of your right leg, lift your left knee"
Am I moving my left or my right?
"Hollow your belly"
With a spoon.....like a pumpkin?
"open the soles of your feet"
I can't reach them right now
"move your muscles towards the bone as you strengthen your leg"
How the heck do you do that?
Doing yoga has restored some strenght to the muscles of my body, especially my knee which I injured several years ago. I was expecting after three weeks with this returned strenght and my familiarity with the poses the routine would become easier. Unfortunately, it became harder.
Contrary Carry snuck up from somewhere and started whispering in my head.
This routine is taking sooooo long.
I start glancing at the clock every few minutes.
Why is this so hard?!
I don't remember staying in this pose for so long before. I wish he would just hurry up.
It is the same DVD tape, nothing has changed.
Grrrr... I can't keep my balance.
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASIER AFTER 3 1/2 WEEKS!
I should be past trying to maintain and balance the pose.
I should be able to follow his weird instructions and take these poses further.
Then I realize, I can't hear what Mr. Yee is saying over Carry's voice.
I take a deep breathe and on my exhale blow Carry away.
I take another deep breathe and a moment to relax and adjust and settle into the pose......and then I started to listen to the instructions.
"Strengthen your back leg as you turn your waist from your tail bone. Don't force it. When you inhale allow the twist to come back slightly and on the exhale settle into a deeper turn.
And it was there.
The power, the stretch and the ease of the pose.
I was able to take the pose as far as I could without force, without pushing or tensing up.
I was suddenly struck by how much I was able to accomplish by submitting to the pose. When you quiet the negative voices, take a deep breathe and relax, you're able to hear the instruction, accept it and submit.
This week I started the dreaded 5am gym workout. I was going to stop doing yoga, but I decide after this incident to continue.
I doubt it will really help me to endure a punishment discipline anytime soon, but it may help to condition my mind to submission the other 99% of the time......
90%?
Contrary Carry snuck up from somewhere and started whispering in my head.
This routine is taking sooooo long.
I start glancing at the clock every few minutes.
Why is this so hard?!
I don't remember staying in this pose for so long before. I wish he would just hurry up.
It is the same DVD tape, nothing has changed.
Grrrr... I can't keep my balance.
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASIER AFTER 3 1/2 WEEKS!
I should be past trying to maintain and balance the pose.
I should be able to follow his weird instructions and take these poses further.
Then I realize, I can't hear what Mr. Yee is saying over Carry's voice.
I take a deep breathe and on my exhale blow Carry away.
I take another deep breathe and a moment to relax and adjust and settle into the pose......and then I started to listen to the instructions.
"Strengthen your back leg as you turn your waist from your tail bone. Don't force it. When you inhale allow the twist to come back slightly and on the exhale settle into a deeper turn.
And it was there.
The power, the stretch and the ease of the pose.
I was able to take the pose as far as I could without force, without pushing or tensing up.
I was suddenly struck by how much I was able to accomplish by submitting to the pose. When you quiet the negative voices, take a deep breathe and relax, you're able to hear the instruction, accept it and submit.
This week I started the dreaded 5am gym workout. I was going to stop doing yoga, but I decide after this incident to continue.
I doubt it will really help me to endure a punishment discipline anytime soon, but it may help to condition my mind to submission the other 99% of the time......
90%?
Ok, ok......I can be good 80% of the time, I swear.
Namaste!
Feel free to leave a positive and/or constructive message. Have a good day!
Ah, so much can be learned from yoga! You're way more advanced than me. Downward dog and sun salutations are about as far as I've gone :)
ReplyDeleteIf I could learn to *relax my temple skin* I bet I'd never get another headache, lol. Namaste to you! Be good ;D
LOL, If I can keep Carry from whispering in my ear I don't think I will have a problem being good. There is one day of exercise that I have to heavily modify. I can't bend my right knee that far, but I'll keep trying. : )
DeleteHey BB - How much of the time does Contrary Carrie swear to stay away? :D
ReplyDeleteCongrats on not only getting through the negativity but committing to the 5am workouts (bleah) and yoga. That's awesome!
Blessings,
Cat
I know, right? That girl is responsible for dragging me into all kinds of trouble. Thanks for the Congrats, Cat!
Delete5am workouts are an awesome way to start the day. Early morning is just a wonderful time of the day - everything is fresh and new. Enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteI know, I love that fresh and new feeling of the morning, I prefer to feel it though with a cup of tea or coffee sitting on the patio watching the sun come up. And workouts in the morning are the best. I just think it is going to take me a couple weeks to truly appreciate all of it coming together so early in the morning.
DeleteThanks OFM
Oh boy, I'm up at 5am but I don't know if I could jump right into working out. I can read here and leave you comments though with coffee in one hand. Deal?
ReplyDeleteStay away Carrie...she's on a roll.
LOL, only if you set a cup for me.
DeleteCarry needs to be rolled up in a rug and stored deep in the cellar.
Lol, relax your temple skin?! Good luck with the workouts. For me, having 'help' sticking to a regular routine has really made all the difference;)
ReplyDeleteThat is really what has helped me. Before I would start out the first week well, the next week eh ok, the third week I would be lucky to work out once. Now with that "help" it has been 4 weeks and only missed 2 days. Wow! A new record for me.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tess
That's an interesting perspective, BlueBird, and you know, it works! When you stop fighting and grumbling against things you do (cleaning, exercise, laundry, etc....) you have an easier, more peaceful time. Lovely thought!
ReplyDeleteI think so too. Thanks June.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the discipline of the workout will help you be submissive.
ReplyDeleteFD