I would like to introduce you to my husband, Rooster!
Thats right, we are Mr. and Mrs. Fowl, but you can call us Rooster and Blue Bird. I guess that makes our kids blue chicks?
Thats right, we are Mr. and Mrs. Fowl, but you can call us Rooster and Blue Bird. I guess that makes our kids blue chicks?
He has never had a nickname. I never call him by anything other than his name.
However in the first year of our marriage, we went to the bank one day. We walked across the parking lot up to the sidewalk from the car and he remembered something and went back. I stayed on the sidewalk. A man approached me. Why? I don't remember, to ask the time, for directions? it has been a while. LOL! I told him whatever he wanted to know but I only glanced at him once. My focus was on my husband. My husband was leaning in the car reaching for something. As he pulled out of the car he stood up and looked in my direction and froze.
There was Rooster.
His back became rod straight, his chest puffed up, his head cocked back slightly. He didn't move, but kept his eyes trained on his prey.
If this rooster's head was cocked back more, this is exactly how he looked.....
There was Rooster.
His back became rod straight, his chest puffed up, his head cocked back slightly. He didn't move, but kept his eyes trained on his prey.
If this rooster's head was cocked back more, this is exactly how he looked.....
I have seen Rooster several times over the years. When an older child on the playground has been too rough with our chicks and the father is standing there making no attempt to call them in line, there is Rooster, expressing without words his displeasure. When someone has approached me in a way he doesn't like or I tell him a story of something that happened to me, I see Rooster. I have even seen Rooster appear in defense of others. But I am getting ahead of myself.
I never talk about my marriage to anyone in my real life, not even those closest to me, unless it is positive. I never thought it was fair. If I tell someone something, how is that going to skew their view of him? Will I unknowingly give them a very negative one sided view? Will that affect their interactions with him? In documenting my journey through Domestic Discipline I have written a lot about my marriage and I am afraid I may have given a one sided view of my husband. So here I will reveal sides of him no one knows but me.
Rooster
The Family Man
We were engaged one month after our first date and married almost six months to the day. I knew on the first date he was the one. We talked through out the evening and were completely comfortable with the silences just looking at each other. Yah sappy. I was shocked when I looked at my watch to realize 4 hours had passed. We only went out to dinner. He was the only man to approach my father to ask permission to marry one of his daugthers. I thought it was cute, I was in my late twenties. He insisted it was important, "We aren't just marrying each other, we are marrying each others families". When I saw the look on my fathers face after their discussion, I loved him even more for giving my father that respect.
A month before our wedding, we went with some of my family to watch Fourth of July fire works at the lake. My two year old nephew wanted to go into the water, but was afraid. We all were trying to encourage him but the more we talked the more he bulked and backed up. Rooster turned and signaled all of us to be quiet. He then went and sat about three feet to the side and a little in front of the little boy. He slowly began to remove his shoes, then his socks and he placed them in his shoes. The boy watched in fascination. Rooster then got up and went to the edge of the lake and wiggled his toes in the water. After a few minutes the little boy removed his shoes and put his socks in his shoes and placed them very carefully side by side next to Rooster's shoes. The boy slowly walked to the waters edge. He stood for a few minutes watching Rooster wiggle his toes, then slowly edged his toes into the water. As the little boy became comfortable, Rooster drifted a little more into the water. Slowly they worked their way until the boy was in water to his knees. Boats went by and the lap of the water was a little too strong and Rooster quietly offered his hand to the little boy. The little boy took it instantly with complete trust. This was the first time the boy and Rooster had met. I suddenly realized it was too quiet. I looked behind me and a group of 30 people, only 7 of them my family, were quietly watching the scene unfold. Rooster never uttered a word from signaling us to be quiet until the little boy suddenly started giggling and splashing around in the water. My love for him bloomed to something I had never felt before.
This is the way he has treated all the children in our family. I was banished to more park benches when they were little. I was over protective. I was helping them to much, picking them up and holding on to them as they climbed the Jungle Gym. Rooster would stand next to them and just watch. If it looked like they were having trouble, he would tap their foot or hand (they were too little to know left from right) and then tap were they needed to put it. He would do this every time they needed help until they had it down. My son ruled the Jungle Gym by the time he was two years old. Mothers would comment about how little and fast he was.
Rooster takes his role as provider very seriously. He made it very clear from the beginning that we would only live within our means. At this time he contributes to two other households besides our own. They wouldn't be able to make it without his help. He has helped every one of my family members. Even one that has a bad record with paying people back. His only condition then was that I right it off in my head as a gift, so when it wasn't returned, there would be no hard feelings. Every single dime was returned.
If you would like to meet another side of Rooster...
Well....
Look!
Up in the sky!
It's a bird!
It's a plane!
It's....
It's....
Well, it is a bird.....
It's
Super Rooster!
That's right he is a super hero! He has no super powers except maybe stealth and an incredible sense of responsibility to protect the vulnerable. Sometimes you know he was there and sometimes you don't.
Once we were in a foreign country and suddenly he ordered us to stay in the car. What? Huh? I turned around to look and he was crossing the street to help a rickety little old lady who was carrying a bag bigger than herself on her back. We waited for 15 minutes while he carried it all the way to her front door.
Once we pulled up in the parking lot of a store and saw a girl about fifteen years old with her arm twisted behind her back being forced down the sidewalk by a young boy about the same age. She wasn't panicked, but she definitely didn't want to go in the direction he was forcing her. The sidewalk was right on an eight lane street. It was packed with cars. No one did anything. We saw an older man walk up to the store and pause and look and then turn away and go inside. Rooster again told me to stay in the car and walked up to the side walk of the store. There was a small parking lot between the two side walks. The car was parked about 10 yards to the right of the store in another lot. I watched him stand there (alone, super rooster cape flying, seriously that was his exact stance) and calmly call out to the girl,"Do you need help?" He completely startled them. The boy kept her arm twisted behind her back and couldn't look Rooster in the face. Rooster calmly kept repeating,"Are you all right? Do you need help?" The boy was intimidated and started to relaxed his grip. She twisted her arm out of his hold and they both just stood there, the boy looking at the ground and the girl wide eyed staring at my husband. Rooster just kept repeating the question keeping eye contact with the girl, "Are you all right? Do you need help?" He repeated this question probably 8 times before she finally shook her head no. Rooster didn't let up and again he said, "Are you sure? I will help you if you need help. Are you sure?" After repeating this phrase about 3 times the girl shook her head with a definite no and turn around and began walking very fast in the opposite direction she was being forced. The boy tried to catch her arm again and she wouldn't let him. He started to fall behind she was moving so fast. The whole time Super Rooster stood there, seriously in that stance, watching.
If you were to meet him you would think I was crazy for choosing this name for him. But I didn't choose the name. If you were lucky enough or unlucky enough to encounter Rooster you would understand instantly.
He is the only person in the world who can make my temper go over the top. In a temper, I once throw a cordless screwdriver across the room, NOT at him. It never worked again. Another time I slammed down a spatula so hard I did some serious damage. One of those incidents he apologized to me for pushing me so hard and the other incident, well............let's just say if we had been practicing Dd then, I would have gotten into serious trouble.......twice!
He is my lover and my teacher. He has taught me many, many things that have changed my views of life and the world around me. He is also the only person in my life that I completely and totally trust. I always have and always will.
Even when he is in Super Villain mode.
If you were to meet him you would think I was crazy for choosing this name for him. But I didn't choose the name. If you were lucky enough or unlucky enough to encounter Rooster you would understand instantly.
He is the only person in the world who can make my temper go over the top. In a temper, I once throw a cordless screwdriver across the room, NOT at him. It never worked again. Another time I slammed down a spatula so hard I did some serious damage. One of those incidents he apologized to me for pushing me so hard and the other incident, well............let's just say if we had been practicing Dd then, I would have gotten into serious trouble.......twice!
He is my lover and my teacher. He has taught me many, many things that have changed my views of life and the world around me. He is also the only person in my life that I completely and totally trust. I always have and always will.
Even when he is in Super Villain mode.
Feel free to leave a comment, be kind.





That is a very sweet portrait of your love, Blue Bird. Thanks for sharing some of the things that make him so special :) It's a pleasure to meet your Rooster!
ReplyDelete(((Hugs)))
Thanks June!
DeleteBlue Bird and Super Rooster. A match made in heaven, so to hear.
ReplyDeleteIs there any other way than DD when you are married to Super Rooster?
Apparently there is no other way Bas, because we tried others for years. This seems to work : )
DeleteThanks Bas!
Thank you for sharing with us Blue bird. He does sound like Super Fowl...wait.
ReplyDeleteI agree whole heartily about not sharing with others when your husband upsets you, well with FTFF. The problem is people have a tendency to share the bad, but not the good, later when it is fixed, leaving them with a inaccurate picture.
I hope you are going to share this post with Roaster.
I am SO glad too we finally have a name for him *wink*
Love
Willie
I do plan to show it to him when he gets home.
DeleteAnd Willie, respect the man's name or you may be visited by Hitchcock's "The Birds". Some of them are relatives.; )
Love and hugs
BB
Did you not notice that I actually found a pic for him as Darth Rooster?!
DeleteI have a soft spot for all kinds of fowl Blue Bird and smiled all the way through this post. He has a great name!
ReplyDeleteI think you've always done a good job of telling us about your hubby but it's true, I have a whole new picture of him now.
Thanks Susie!
DeleteIt is just that the story is always from my side and his view of the stories may show very differently. If we blogged like Ward and June, I don't think I would worry about the image of him I am creating. He would create his own image.
LOL! But I don't see that ever happening.
Thanks Susie
Nice to meet you, Blue Bird, and thanks for your delightful portrait of Rooster.
ReplyDeleteThanks Malcolm,
DeleteI haven't visited your blog yet, but hope to do so soon to really meet you properly.
Blue Bird
Aw, blue chicks! Sounds like Rooster does an amazing job protecting them and his Blue Bird. My husband also asked my daddy for his permission/blessing before he asked me to marry him. I already thought he hung the moon, but that confirmed it for me. My daughter's future husband better show the same respect lol!
ReplyDeleteI know right!
DeleteIt seems like such an old fashion thing to do, yet it is really incredibly important.
Thanks Tess!
Such a lovely post BB. It's wonderful to read the good things - they really make me smile. Hello Rooster, so nice to meet you.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Cat
Thanks Cat!
DeleteThere are many more of these memories that make up Rooster for me, these are just a very few.
BB
Rooster! So happy to know you! What a fine feathered couple you make :)
ReplyDeleteActually, Blue Bird, this is a charming man you describe. He sounds very nurturing and protective - I love than in a man.
I had a picture in my mind of your hubby, BB, and now that picture has been filled out considerably - thanks because it really adds to your story of your life together.
Wonderful!
hugs
lillie
I am really interested in the picture you have in your mind of him. I am always curious if I am actually able to convey my thoughts correctly to create an accurate picture in someone else's mind.
DeleteThanks and hugs Lillie,
Blue Bird
Such a wonderful picture of your husband! I agree that we have to be very careful to make sure we show our husbands in a positive light. I believe we can be honest without vilifying them. It is a good lesson to remember.
ReplyDeleteMy husband has been known to pick up a homeless person or two and make sure they arrive somewhere warm. So the story of the caring way your husband notices need is one I appreciate too!
I agree Minelle!
DeleteIf you are out there BB I have only just read this. I am stunned. It is such a heartwarmingly beautiful story. I want to tell you, I think other wives should tell stories about their husbands too, because we often get completely the wrong impression. I adore roosters (cockerels) and know a lot about them. I shall always think of your husband as superrooster from now on. Thank you for painting this picture of him!
ReplyDeleteAmi
I love this. It is such a beautiful portrait of your husband and the love you have for him. Very moving. I felt my heart skip a beat a few times just reading it and there was a gulp in my throat. I hope this is how you always feel for him. Just beautiful. <3
ReplyDeleteHi Blue Bird!
ReplyDeleteI just discovered this as well - it was absolutely lovely! What a beautiful way to see your husband and to share him with others.
I agree with Ami........I think you've started something here!
:) Cali