Friday, January 4, 2013
He requested my permission! Part 2
So I emailed him the link to "I rescinded my permission! Part 1". Although it wasn't Part 1 at that time. His e-mail spammed it. It detected a problem and spammed it. Fortunately, he checks his spam folder every couple of days for emails he should have received and found it. As it was, I waited for two days in frustration and hurt, thinking he was never going to respond to the e-mail. He still couldn't read it. It wouldn't open.
Saturday morning, I opened the post for him and let him read it. When he finished, we immediately went in to the "that's not what I said", "Yes, you said...." kind of game. It wasn't heated, yet. It was only a few back and forth and then he quickly stopped it. We both realized we were heading no where like this and we had to drop his car for service anyway. The 15 minute drive to the dealers gave both of us some time alone to think.
When I picked him up, he wanted to go have coffee somewhere and talk. We went to our favorite coffee spot, got our coffee and found a table on the patio.
I don't remember everything that was said. Somethings are crystal clear in my mind and others have become hazy.
As before, his lines are in red, mine are in blue.
"You don't treat anyone else the way you treat me. When you are stressed you take it out on me. Never would you speak that way to anyone else."
"I agree"
Huh? I just stared at him. He has never accepted responsibility for this before. I exhaled and for the first time in days felt maybe everything would be all right. I was stunned and a little moved by this.
"You are right. I will try to be more aware of this. I will work on not doing it any more."
"I know you have been under a lot of stress and I know it came from that, but I am afraid to ask you anything any more and I need to be able to talk to you about things........."
We were suddenly talking about everything going on lately in our lives. His illness, his father's illness, my relative's illness, his work and then there is Dd(sigh).
His illness is making everything so much more difficult. He can't focus. He doesn't have any energy. He feels like he is physically deteriorating.
His father's illness, we saw signs this summer when we visited them. When we asked, we were told he was just getting old and slowing down. We discovered the truth with this recent crisis. He has Alzheimers. He acknowledged to me that the next time he sees his father after this visit, he is afraid his father won't recognize him. I think this is breaking his heart.
My relative's illness, well the burden has always seemed to fall on me, and from me it falls on him. We both recognized the reality of the situation a year ago. No one else agreed. They are now being forced to face some truths, but are still resisting. We know there is going to be a real struggle, hard feelings, and a lot of pain to deal with before it is settled. The thought is exhausting in and of itself.
This trip he has made to see his father will cause a six month, maybe even a year delay in a project he has been working on. There is a situation going on right now for him, I thought he had already made a decision on how he was going to deal with it, but he confessed he is conflicted. He is questioning if it is morally correct. He will always take the losing end of something (basically losing a lot of money) than to cross a moral line. I do not see any moral conflict in either of the options he has before him and we discussed this, but it is his decision to make and he has to be confident in his choice. This I discovered is causing a lot of stress.
Trying to start Dd with all of this........he fells like he has failed me. Which is not true at all, the only time he fails me is when he stops talking to me or turns away from me. I have told him this many times since starting all of this.
Most of all this I already knew, a few details were new. The way he talked about everything this time, I realized how much pressure he was putting on himself. This is a lot to deal with, especially when you are sick.
Just before we got up to leave I told him I had realized something by our responses to each other right after he read the post earlier.
"I think we are always misinterpreting each other, not just our words but our body language. I know you are stressed. I know how you sometimes react to me when you are stressed. I was so nervous about asking you if we were going to stop or try to do Dd long distance, I was incredibly tense. I think you read my tension as me needing something more from you. I think you felt pressured by a perceived expectation. There was nothing, I just wanted to know what you wanted to do."
"Yes, I think you are right"
We got in the car to leave and he said:
"We still haven't discussed the one important issue right now................Do you still want to do Dd?
without hesitation I answered "Yes"
"Good, because I still want to do it for one reason and one reason only. I saw a change in you. You were happy. I would do anything to make you happy. I want you to be happy."
What girl wouldn't just love that?
"but we can't do it the way we were doing it..."
"What do you mean?"
"You have to do your own research."
He let out a big sigh and turned away his head "I don't have the time."
"Don't tell me that. You spend hours every night researching things on your phone. I am not asking you to spend all your time researching this, just twenty minutes once a week.....he sighed.........just listen to my reasons first.............he gave in and nodded his head..........The first one is, I don't think you understand how much it has hurt me, that you research everything.....what kind of vitamins and supplements to take, the effect taking your prescribed medications will have on you, the best flat screen TV on the market (seriously people he spent two years researching before he purchased one), the political situations around the world..........but you won't research this, something that we are trying to do to change and improve our marriage."
He sheepishly nodded his head, "I want to do this (Dd), but I don't really have the will, the drive to do it yet."
"When you read these articles and post, there will be something that clicks and makes you see things in a certain way. What causes something to click for me may mean nothing to you. I don't know what will click for you. That is something that you have to find."
"The last reason is......you are supposed to be leading us............ I am having a REALLY hard time trying to be submissive, when I feel like I am leading you. It is incredibly frustrating."
"All right, I get it. I won't make any promises, but I will try my best."
If he says he will do it, I know he will do it. When he refused to make any promises he was escaping the burden of guilt if it takes him longer to get to it then he planned. Yes, I will probably have to remind him of this conversation at least once.
I hope no one read Part 1 and thought, "wow, what a jerk he is". The truth is we have been married for eighteen years. That is a long history we have created together. A long history of patterns and behaviors and misinterpretations all tangled up that will take a long while to unravel and work through. We both share responsibility. How am I responsible for the way he speaks to me you ask? I have allowed it to happen. In the past, I have allowed him to take out his stress on me verbally, as he has allowed me to do the same with him, without calling him on it. The problem is, before I had my walls to protect me and now those walls have become weak and crumbly, in some areas they are completely down. We both recognize now how unhealthy this is and are taking steps to change.
I have come to understand that communication truly is the most important tool in this lifestyle. Even the discipline or spankings, they are just another form of communication and not the most important form. When you are first starting to live this life, EVERYTHING needs to be discussed. Every thought, every feeling from both points of view. We feel, perceive and interpret things very differently. We are now discovering each others depths.
The week of officially not practicing Dd for me was incredibly painful for many reasons, some I have already stated. One other reason, I discovered I couldn't just shut off my submission. I have become a different person, someone I like much more. I was desperately afraid that if we never returned to Dd, I would slowly loss this new person. In some ways I had already started to mourn the loss of my new self,......... it was painful.
I am grateful that it came from him this time and that we are restarting Dd. When he gets back, we plan to begin. It kind of makes me wonder, did we really ever stop?
Feel free to leave a comment, be kind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
High blue bird, that was very productive. My husband and I have been guilty of taking stress out on each other. Human nature isn't perfect. I believe what is important is that he recognizes it an is determined to change, you both are.
ReplyDeleteI also have a great deal of sympathy for the sadness and feelings of powerlessness he feels regarding his dad. My mom has the disease as well, it is a cruel illness. Sometimes your loved ones deterioration is slow, and other times it is quick.
I hope you both continue to communicate and that you embrace each other while it is happening.
Hi Minelle,
DeleteI am very sorry to hear about your mom. His father is the first person in our family diagnosed with the disease. We are not sure how to deal.....process it all.
I am the type, when I see a loved one buckling from the stress, I may push them to let it out and to use me as a target. I have done that with my husband before. After coming together recently during an very scary time and sharing the way we never had before, it was incredibly painful to be used that way again and not the new way we had found in that scary moment.
I think I am going to make some kind of sign and post it some where in my house to remind me how important it is to turn to him and communicate.
No BB, I don't think you ever really stopped - you just shifted a bit. This post made me smile - you two are working through the issues, supporting one another, communicating and recognizing each others needs. That's what DD is all about. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about all of the outside issues that are stressing both of you. Just remember to move towards one another and not away.
Sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers for both of you.
Blessings,
Cat
Yes : ) I have come to understand that is what it is truly all about.
DeleteThis outside issues, although I wish they weren't there, I believe without them it would probably have taken us a lot longer to get to this point.
Thank you for the thoughts and prayers Cat!
BB
Blue Bird, you only have to read my problems to know that you and your husband are not alone. Mine isn't keen on reading and researching either. Yet he will research everything else to the nth degree. I think we just have to keep plodding along. Lots of patience, not only with TTWD but also with each other. We're not robots, and can't programme ourselves like computers. We need to move with the current. Be flexible. Life has a habit of throwing things at us so we don't get too complacent. Communication is, indeed, the most difficult thing to do. I hope your stress levels begin to drop. I so know what it feels like.
ReplyDeleteMany hugs, Ami
In the earlier days I accepted that he wasn't going to do any research. Now however, 8.5 months into this it is causing a lot of problems.
DeleteWe are on this road together. He is trying to lead, but he has blindfolded himself and I am behind him steering him in the direction I think he needs/wants to go. He needs to take off the blindfold now and make that decision himself. We are at that point. I now it is still going to be easier said than done, but he has promised to try and I know he will.
Every marriage is different and every couple must move at their own pace and create their own direction. We both recognize that this is the direction we need to move in now.
Hugs Ami, I hope everything is easier for you both soon.
BB
There's this wall of love, this immovable guy that so many of us need when we enter this way of life. I feel so much for you and other women who brought this to their husbands and spend so much time patiently (or not so much for some lol) waiting for them to catch up and wrap their heads around all of it. Mine was never much on research either and he was in with both hands, so to speak. For whatever reason, they don't process it that way.
ReplyDeleteIt's so encouraging to see that he wants to continue and suspect that he will take a new ownership of it when he gets back. You are so right in seeing that many years of marriage means there's a lot to turn around. Good for both of you!
I don't expect to see him reading any personal blogs. In fact I would faint with shock if he actually commented or asked a question on a blog. It boggles the mind! LOL! But I can see him reading some of the posts on some of the instructional sites. We will see how it goes.
ReplyDeleteThe new ownership, that is what I am hoping. I had promised myself not to ask him about starting DD again, if we were going to do it, it had to come from him this time. As I said,I am grateful it did.
LOL! We are like an old house with too many bad paint jobs. It is going to take a while to scrape all of those layers off!
Thanks Susie!
Over a year after incorporating DD/ttwd into our relationship I would still say that communication is one of the most important aspects and it's an area we're both still working on. Like you and your husband, Michael and I had been married awhile and had both fallen into patterns of behavior that needed to be addressed. Some of those are now behind us, replaced with a better way. Some of them we're still working on. And I bet there are some we have yet to discover and/or really understand. Anyway, I just came across your blog and wanted to say hello. :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome Grace,
DeleteI think it is going to be like that for us. Our communication will be a work in progress for many years. I am sure we wil think we have just figured it all out and then !Bam! something new appears.
Come back any time Grace!